Marvel’s superhero series, Netflix’s The Defenders much more like MCU’s The Avengers. But much more different than the comic book. In the comics, The Defenders came together to defend Earth from the supernatural evil beings. Doctor Strange was the founding member of the original team and remains a constant player.The Netflix’s series would not cover all the necessary thing which is based on the comic storyline. Hence Hero’s Facts has collected all the informative and interesting facts about it.
The Netflix’s series would not cover all the necessary thing which is based on the comic storyline.
Hence we are going to discuss all the informative and interesting facts about it.
Here are Top 50 Facts about Marvel’s Defenders
1. The Defenders are the super group of Marvel’s superheroes much like the Avengers and the X-Men. The team in the comics battles mystical and supernatural forces many times.
2. The original team members of the Defenders includes Doctor Strange, Hulk, Silver Surfer and Namor. They made their first debut in the Marvel Feature #1 in 1971.
3. Initially the all founding members gathered together to fight with the alien techno-wizard Yandroth and after that, they remain as a team.
4. Despite constant members Hulk and Doctor Strange, after 1972, the Defenders comic line was switched up with new characters. New members included Luke Cage, Valkyrie, Nighthawk, and Gargoyle.
5. Valkyrie was introduced as a new member in the issue no. #4 in 1973. According to Steve Englehart, she will add some texture to the supergroup.
6. In the Netflix’s The Defenders, Jessica Jones is the prominent member of the team. But in the comics, she was not the member of the team at all.
7. Howard the Duck, Captain America and even Guardians of the Galaxy were all been a part of the Defenders at one point.
8. In issue #125, the original series retitled to The New Defenders. This new storyline had changed in a much different way. In response to an alien prophecy that states the main members of the team would be the responsible for the destruction of the world.
Hence original Members (Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor) are forced to leave the team.
9. This New Defenders series boosts the sales, but later after some issues, it was canceled to make room in Marvel’s production for the New Universe line.
10. In 1993, Marvel had modified the concept to Secret Defenders. This new team was formed and led by Doctor Strange in which he assembled different superheroes for different missions.
11. This New Secret Defender appears in the Doctor Strange #50 and after that officially introduced in the Secret Defenders #1.
In the comics, various heroes were in the team including Wolverine, Spider-Woman, Spider-Man, Darkhawk, Hulk and Ghost Rider.
12. The live action superheroes series Marvel’s The Defenders was already aired on Netflix on 18 August 2017. Based on the comic book, the team adapted Street-level and grounded superheroes.
The founding members of the newly form team are Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage.
13. Danny Rand aka the Immortal Iron Fist is the only member of the group to have mystical powers like Rand can harness his mystical chi powers to expand his physical and superhuman abilities.
While the other three gain their powers by some accidents and experimentations.
14. In the Netflix’ series, these Defenders fights off against Alexandra Reid who apparently not exists in the Marvel Universe and created as a villain specifically for the show.
15. Comic writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist David Marquez had released their Defenders #1 in June featuring the same line up as on the show.
16. Different between Netflix’s Defenders and Marvel Comics is that in the comics Doctor Strange, Blade and Deadpool will appear as guest characters.
17. You probably know this fact that Netflix’s Defenders is a part of Marvel Cinematic Universe but on a low level than the Avengers.
18. According to Executive Producer of the show, Jeph Loeb who said,
“The Avengers are here to save the universe and the Defenders are here to save the neighborhood.”
This could be the right decision because someone has to stay on earth to protect their own city.
19. The neighborhood city is no other than New York City itself. However individual show’s Daredevil and Jessica Jones handle the situation in Hell’s Kitchen & Luck Cage and Iron Fist may be dealing with Manhattan.
20. During the very first teaser of the Defenders shows the group is in Elevator and the time on a security camera says 8 hours and 18 min which is a reference to the release date of August 18th.
21. The show features subtle color coding to their superheroes costume. Jessica’s purple color costume, Cage’s yellow as per the traditional comic book costume color. Daredevil’s red outfit and Iron Fist’s green much more like from the comic book.
22. During Luke Cage’s imprisonment, he voluntarily did experimentation on the Super-Soldier process. However, the treatment was accelerated inducing body-wide enhancement that gave him unbreakable skin and superhuman incredible strength and stamina. This is much related to the Captain America’s super soldier serum process.
23. Luke Cage was the first black comics’ character at either Marvel or DC to get his own comic-book series in 1972.
24. In order to save both comic book character series Iron Fist and Luck Cage to gain popularity, Marvel decided to combine the Cage’s series with Iron Fist.
Their first comic book series named was Power Man and Iron Fist #50.
25. Jessica Jones and Luck Cage gets closed in the comics. Soon after Jessica finds out she’s pregnant and later they get married. Their newborn daughter name was Danielle.
26. He names her baby after his best friend Daniel/Danny Rand aka Iron Fist whom they also declared as her Godfather.
27. Jessica Jones Netflix’s show was, in fact, the first live action appearance of the Luck Cage. He already has his powers by the time when she meets him.
28. In the Marvel Team-Up vol.3 comic book, Doctor Strange form a team of unofficial Defenders consisting Spider-Man, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel and the Hulk.
29. The first Iron Fist comic book series was inspired by the success of Kung Fu in 19972 television series.
30. The Netflix’s Iron Fist series has the lowest Rotten Tomatoes critic rating than any other Marvel Netflix superhero shows.
31. Iron Fist actor Finn Jones trained for hours daily before filming. For his physical appearance, he did not want to look as a bulky muscle hero rather he wanted a very tone and athletic look.
32. The many superheroes team maintain the same line-up from the beginning to end like the Avengers and X-Men. But the Defenders were fluctuating between 1972 and 1986.
The most constantly members in the Defenders have included Nighthawk, Valkyrie, son of Satan, Hellcat, Beast and Luck Cage.
33. Defenders have gone through various phases over the decades. After the new series wrapped up in 1986, as I said earlier, Marvel decided to create a new format with Secret Defenders which runs from 1993 to 1995.
34. After that in early 2000, the defenders reunited and once again in 2005’s miniseries where team battle against Dormammu and Umar. There was another Defender series in 2011 which apparently ended with Doctor Strange’s reset timeline.
35. This Netflix’s Defenders series is the end of the phase one of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
36. Spider-Man and the Daredevil have teamed up various times in the comic-book series. Matt Murdock is very similar to the Peter Parker. He gains his powers through radioactive accident and he is mostly motivated by the death of his father.
The same way that Peter motivated by the death of his uncle Ben to fight crime for the greater good.
37. Loki and Dormammu once teamed up against The Avengers and the Defenders into fighting each other for a fragment of the Evil Eye.
This happened in the Avengers-Defenders War in 1973 crossover between them
38. A storyline in Defenders for a Day issue #62-64 of the original series, the team runs dozens of new superheroes who attempted to join the Defenders. But shortly, All of them left the team because of disappointment with the existing members.
At that time, sixteen heroes had joined the Defenders for one day.
39. The temporary heroes include Falcon, Quasar, Captain Mar-Vell, Mr. Marvel, Nova, Torpedo, Stingray, Havok, Polaris, Black Goliath, White Tiger, Captain Ultra and Tagak the Leopard Lord and much more.
40. In the 2008’s The Last Defenders, Nighthawk wanted a team made up of previous Defenders like Hellcat and Devil Slayer. But because of Super-Human Registration Act and the events of Civil War, Tony Stark makes the decision to select other heroes for the Defender team.
41. This new line-up team includes Nighthawk himself, Blazing Skull, Colossus and She-Hulk as members.
42. As a counter team, Red Hulk assembles a new team called the Offenders which includes Baron Mordo, Terraz the Tamer and Tiger Shark.
This issue was introduced from the Hulk’s Series #10-12 in 2009.
43. In 2011’s Fear Itself comic book storyline, Doctor Strange forms a very new version of the Defenders with the daughter of Hulk, Lyra, Namor, Loa and the Silver Surfer to confront battle against supervillain Attuma.
44. In the Ultimate Marvel Universe or in Earth-1616, the Defenders are a group of amateur vigilante who dresses up as Superheroes.
None of them in the team .have special abilities or superpowers. but what they have only crime fighting experienced.
45. In the Ultimates Vol. 3, the Valkyrie’s character was rewritten as having special powers to her Earth-616 counterpart.
She was trained by Thor having expertize in sword fighting, some level of superhuman strength.
46. When original Defenders return in Ultimates Comics: New Ultimates #1, they possessing superhuman abilities. In fact, Loki gave them these powers in order to steal Thor’s hammer Mjolnir.
47. In the alternate timeline where Hank Pym was dead during Age of Ultron, the defenders become the prominent superhero team after the fall of The Avengers.
48. This new team consists of like always Doctor Strange, Captain America, Wolverine, Janet Van as Captain Marvel, Cable, Hulk, Thing, and Star-Lord.
49. In the Justice League’s two part episode of ‘The Terror Beyond’ which features Aquaman, Doctor Fate, Solomon Grundy and Hawkgirl who team up together to fight against ancient supernatural entity Ichtulhu.
According to Bruce Timm, this situation was meant as an explicit homage to the Defenders with each member paralleling respective Marvel’s hero.
50. Stan Lee’s favorite comic book is Daredevil: A Man Without Fear issue #7 which features Daredevil fights with sub-marine Namor who seeks to sue the surface world for its exploitation of the sea.
But however, Namor wins the fight and he admires Daredevil’s courage for saving people.
That’s it friends…
Are we missing anything or Am I getting wrong in any of the above facts. So correct me by sharing your views in the comment section below.
Make sure to subscribe us for the daily updates.